Monday, June 21, 2010

"Success isn't a result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire"
-Arnold Glasow


Saturday I accomplished another goal! For years I have spouted off about doing a 5k and I can scratch that off now. As told in Shelly's blog this is the midway point for my long journey. When we got back from our cruise in March, I was disgusted at my weight. I have struggled for quite some time with this. I was around 330 over a year ago and I lost 30 pounds with diet and exercise but I didn't change the lifestyle. It all came rumbling back! I had been exercising every day for about 40 minutes and that wasn't helping. I knew I couldn't do this on my own, so I hit my knees. I prayed, Lord if this is going to happen I need you to help me. I got motivated! God only meets you half way, you have to do the work. I doubled up my workouts to 2 hours a day and I counted calories. I love food and this was going to be hard! The weight started coming off! I moved to 3-1 hour workouts and ate under 2000 calories a day. Sometimes I got hungry but not too much. The weight fell off more, I thanked God and asked for stamina. I wasn't hungry much and now the results were noticeable. I made the goal of a 5k and started to train. I am getting up at 3:30 and hitting the recumbent bike for 500 calories and I follow that up with a 5k cool down before work. I watch what I eat and after work I repeat the same workout. Is this crazy? Yes. Is it working? Yes. How long can I keep it up? I dunno. I am seeing a doctor to help keep diabetes from becoming my fate. She was impressed with the weight loss back in May when I had only lost 30 pounds. I have lost over 60 to date. I want to be down to 230 by the time I see her next. That will be a total loss of 100 pounds since I had started seeing them almost 2 years ago, before I lost,then regained. Agghh it's a mess. All I know is I can't control if I get diabetes, but I can meet God half way to avoid it.
I want to thank Shelly and the boys for running with me and being there throughout this whole journey. I couldn't have done it without there support. The race was awesome to see how families come together to get through crisis. It was a neat experience to see them all cheer each other on and encourage them to the finish line. I believe I will make this a yearly thing. I would like to get another 5k done this summer. We shall see!

results: 39 min 31 secs

1 comment:

Day Family said...

Nice job! We need more pics!!